Position Title: Gym Attendant
Reports To: Recreation Operations Manager
Posted Rate of Pay: $16.09/Hour
Exempt / Non-Exempt: Non-Exempt
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Limited to current TOKA employees only: No
Documents required to be attached with candidate’s application:
1. Tohono O’odham Ki:Ki Association Application Form
2. Current resume & CIB or tribal identification card (If Applicable)
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
The Tohono O’odham Ki:Ki Association conducts pre-employment screening for all positions, which may include a criminal background check, verification of credentials, licenses, certifications, and work history. In addition, a check of names and identification documents is conducted on all new employees to ensure they are legally authorized to work in the United States. All employees are required to successfully pass a drug screening test prior to employment; random drug screening tests may be administered post-employment.
Under the direction of the Recreation Operations Manager & Lead Fitness Instructor, the Gym Attendant will oversee the activities of the Hanam Ke:k Recreation and Fitness center; including front desk management and facilities usage by participants.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Answer all incoming phone calls.
- Interact with members at the front desk and on the phone.
- Provide gym membership information to new members and answer questions.
- Manages check-in and check-out procedures for existing members and guests.
- Assist with registering and documenting all new incoming gym members’ paperwork, registrations, waiver, health screening etc.
- Assist members with registering for classes.
- Manage member files and accounts.
- Keep records of all Hanam Ke:k activities and prepares reports for gym attendance, classroom reservations, incident reports, etc.
- Keep maintain front desk documents and client files.
- Oversee the maintenance of the exercise areas and provide assistance to patrons
- Interacting with clients who are seeking information about gym equipment, classes, and other subjects.
- Keeping the facility clean by wiping down equipment, mopping the floor, and replacing towels, water, and other items.
- Ensuring that the visitors adhere to all Hanam Ke:k Fitness
Center safety policies while working out.
- Assist in maintenance of park and recreational areas.
- Must be able to work extended hours and various work schedules, including weekend hours.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs workflows and procedures.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Visionary Leadership - Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
- Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- High School Diploma or GED and any combination of experience and training equivalent to six (6) months of successful experience in a recreation program.
- Skill and knowledge of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint among other database software programs.
- Working knowledge of a wide variety of recreational activities.
- Ability to maintain discipline in parks and recreation area.
- Ability to understand and follow routine and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, Community Officials, and the general public.
- Ability to perform all physical requirements of the position; agree to maintain a Drug-free workplace.
- Must be able to work extended hours and various work schedules, including weekend hours.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Active/Valid Driver’s License
- CPR/AED/First Aid certification must be obtained within 6 months after date of hire.
- Required to pass a background check.
- Background checks are required for positions that involve regular contact with or control over Community Children in accordance with The Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act, 25 U.S.C. Sections 3201 through 3210 and C.F.R. Part 63 and positions that have regular contact with the Elderly.
- Knowledge of the Tohono O’odham culture, customs, and traditions.
- Knowledge of arts, crafts, sports and recreation activities suitable for O’odham youth.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian applicants in accordance with Section 703(i) of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, 42 U.S.C. §2000e-2(i) (1982) and Tohono O’odham Nation Ordinance 01-85, Section 3, provided the applicant has submitted acceptable proof of Indian preference for employment.
The Tohono O’odham Ki:Ki Association is an equal opportunity employer, and there will be no discrimination for consideration or in selection, because of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, politics, marital status, physical handicap, or age.
I have reviewed and understand the job descriptions and believe them to be accurate and complete. I understand that the Management of the Tohono O’odham Ki:Ki Association retains the right to change the Job Descriptions as it deems necessary. I will follow and adhere to my Job Description to the best of my ability.
Employee Signature Date