Position Title: Fitness Instructor
Reports To: Recreation Operations Manager
Posted Rate of Pay: DOE
Exempt / Non-Exempt: Non-Exempt
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Limited to current TOKA employees only: No
Documents required to be attached with candidate’s application:
1. Tohono O’odham Ki:Ki Association Application Form
2. Current resume & CIB or tribal identification card (If Applicable)
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
The Tohono O’odham Ki:Ki Association conducts pre-employment screening for all positions, which may include a criminal background check, verification of credentials, licenses, certifications, and work history. In addition, a check of names and identification documents is conducted on all new employees to ensure they are legally authorized to work in the United States. All employees are required to successfully pass a drug screening test prior to employment; random drug screening tests may be administered post-employment.
Under the direction of the Recreation Operations Manager the accredited Fitness Instructor will develop and implement fitness and training programs for the Hanem Kek Recreation and Fitness Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and delivers a variety of fitness programs.
- Assists in creating systems and policies that will facilitate the program
- Assists in the program’s strategic planning components related to TOKA and the Hanem Kek Recreation and Fitness Center, including developing, researching, coordinating, and implementing strategies relating to the function of the program.
- Assists and motivates clients in reaching individual goals.
- Ensures the safety of clients during training sessions.
- Participates in directing the establishment and administration of policies and procedures to guide the TOKA in the consistent delivery of high-quality services to all Tribal members.
- Participates in developing, planning, and implementing the TOKA’s goals and objectives; establishes and administers policies and procedures.
- Conduct an initial assessment of clients’ body measurements, assisting in monitoring BMI on a regular basis.
- Participates in enforcing the Nation’s ordinances and resolutions concerning Recreation and Fitness Center matters.
- Maintains professional knowledge by conducting research, attending seminars, educational workshops, classes, and conferences; reviewing professional publications; establishing networks; participating in professional societies; conferring with representatives of contracting agencies and related
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Visionary Leadership - Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
- Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience –
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Language Skills - Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from clients, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Mathematical Skills - Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Reasoning Ability - Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Database software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Valid Arizona's Drivers License - No DUI’s in past 3 years; No felony convictions.
- Accredited by NCCA. Must obtain this accreditation with in 1 year of employment.
- Gym Instructor certification. Must obtain this certification within 1 year of employment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian applicants in accordance with Section 703(i) of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, 42 U.S.C. §2000e-2(i) (1982) and Tohono O’odham Nation Ordinance 01-85, Section 3, provided the applicant has submitted acceptable proof of Indian preference for employment.
I have reviewed and understand the job descriptions and believe them to be accurate and complete. I understand that the Management of the Tohono O’odham Ki:Ki Association retains the right to change the Job Descriptions as it deems necessary. I will follow and adhere to my Job Description to the best of my ability.
Employee Signature Date